Sunday, March 4, 2012

Review: The Scratcher on February 29, 2012


The Scratcher is one of those bars that is centrally located, on 5th Street and Cooper Square, very close to the Astor Place stop off the 6 train, yet you could easily miss it when walking down the street, but it's a gem once you discover it.  Make sure you look DOWN a bit, there are a couple steps to get to the door.  Maybe that's what makes it such a secret!  Inside the bar it's super cozy, with exposed brick walls and cool wooden tables and benches.  They even have some Siamese chairs.  It's also really spacious for what looks like a small bar from the outside.  Great for groups! 

Siamese chairs!
The happy hour specials were pretty sweet- $2 off drafts and wells until 8:00pm. (does not apply to top shelf...)  They had a good selection of drafts available- I enjoyed the Dogfish IPA (and a bit of classic Yuengling!).  They don't serve any food, but I understand that you can totally order delivery or bring food in. 
Friends!
The bartenders were all REALLY awesome- I actually went with this place because the guy on the phone was really nice and happy to talk to me about having a group there.  Although it was pretty funny that despite having confirmed with the bar the day before, it wasn't on their calendar! (no big deal though).
We had an awesome (although small) group, and they all deserve props for not letting the weather hold them back from a happy evening on LEAP DAY!  I have noticed that it does seem to rain a lot on happy hour days.  I will come up with some incentive to come to happy hour in the rain.  Be ready next time to shake your fist at the storm clouds!!! 
Oh it's good to be a HH regular.
Our happy hour attendance award winners from 2011 were also the first to receive the NEWEST PRIZE, a happy hour beer coozie.  You know you want one.  

Maybe you can get one at the NEXT happy hour, Thursday, March 22!  Be there.
NEW PRIZE this year: HH beer coozies. 




1 comment:

  1. I /did/ miss it walking down the street.

    Interesting that I seem to be bending light or something in that first photograph.

    ReplyDelete