Sunday, October 23, 2011

Review: The Library on September 29, 2011

 Oh dive bars, how I love thee.  The Library, located on Ave A, just north of Houston, is dark, loud, and cheap- just how a dive bar should be.  Plus, the jukebox was pumping out some fun punk rock- not quite your typical bar music AND totally fun.  


The Library gets its name from the shelves of books that surround the seating area in the back.  However, this bar does not resemble a traditional library in any other sense! It wasn't quiet, no one got shushed, and I didn't see anyone reading. 

In terms of space, there's a bar up front, and then tables and chairs in the back, so works well for groups- or blobs.  We had 20 or so people (and lots of new faces!), and we were able to spread out comfortably in the back.  Also, there's a screen that probably is for watching movies and such.

The specials are great- buy one get one free until 8pm- they give you a playing card that you turn in for your 2nd drink (note that you must redeem the playing card before happy hour ends in order to get it!).  The EXTRA special special is that Thursdays are also ladies night, so ladies get buy one get one free from 8pm and onwards, so for me, it was happy hour ALL NIGHT LONG!!! 

I liked the skull watching over the bar.
The drinks were good- wells were appropriately strong ($6 for two during HH), although someone reported that the taps were dirty, so draft beers weren't great.  (I am happy to report that on a return visit to the bar, this did not seem to be the case.)

Note that the bathrooms were VERY representative of dive bars, and the bathroom closer to the bar smells better than the one further back.

Reviewing the evenings' pics. Oh well.
Good times, clearly.
We had a blast, and definitely had a late late night!  Although, sadly I lost my camera in early October, so some of these pics are from a return visit to the bar (thanks to Dave for the black & whites that you took that night!).  I have pledged to upload my photos from my camera RIGHT AWAY so that in the case of the tragedy of future lost electronics I do not also lose the pictures!!! 

Take-home message is that I would definitely return to this bar (and I already have!). 








No comments:

Post a Comment